I started a Patreon for The Mermaid Manual! Please consider supporting the project if you love mermaids and want to earn some goodies for your pledges. I’d love to make this book finally become a reality.
For everyone and anyone who has asked me how they can order a copy of the book, please check out this page! You can receive a free signed copy of the book as well as many other rewards.
Find out more information here!

I started a Patreon for The Mermaid Manual! Please consider supporting the project if you love mermaids and want to earn some goodies for your pledges. I’d love to make this book finally become a reality.

For everyone and anyone who has asked me how they can order a copy of the book, please check out this page! You can receive a free signed copy of the book as well as many other rewards.

Find out more information here!

I’m finally getting back to working on mermaids! It’s been too long so it was refreshing to do these doodles.

I had the idea of making a mascot-type character for The Mermaid Manual as well as for when I just want to draw mermaids for fun outside of the book. I named her Mina (mee-nah) from the Sanskrit मीना which supposedly means “fish” though this may be inaccurate.

I knew right away that I didn’t want her to reflect a specific species but something that was ambiguous and/or a combination instead. I worked on some silhouette thumbnails to get an idea of what I want her overall shape to look like before tackling the details. I’m going to go with something like the bottom two in the second image.

Color mock-up for the commissioned family plaque I started working on.
My client asked for muted tones with the primary color being blue, so I referenced a color scheme sheet she gave me as an example with a few tweaks. I think this will look quite nice once I begin painting it. The only issue I have left now is how to fix the mess where the rope, anchor and star all overlap on the left. The negative space with the rope isn’t working right, so I’ll have to revisit that and figure something out.

Color mock-up for the commissioned family plaque I started working on.

My client asked for muted tones with the primary color being blue, so I referenced a color scheme sheet she gave me as an example with a few tweaks. I think this will look quite nice once I begin painting it. The only issue I have left now is how to fix the mess where the rope, anchor and star all overlap on the left. The negative space with the rope isn’t working right, so I’ll have to revisit that and figure something out.